Is There Student Loan Deferment for Military Personnel?
The men and women of the United States military are, in many ways, just like civilians. We all concern ourselves with getting to work on time, paying our mortgage, rent, or our student loans. We’re thinking about that “hot” date, if we’re making dinner or going for takeout, and filling up our gas tanks. We worry about our next post on Facebook, who we’re going to Skype, text message or tweet, and we all know about the excitement that is cable TV!
We can all relate to these situations. It’s part of our everyday life. However, being a member of the armed forces brings with it much responsibility. To serve and protect the United States is their job. They can be stationed in the United States, or they can be stationed in a foreign country. What if they’re called to active duty? What if they’ve finished their tour of duty? What if they are called back from reserves or retirement to active duty in wartime?
All of the above scenarios can have an impact on their current financial picture, and if you’re a current or former student with outstanding Federal Student loans, it can become daunting to attempt to remain current with your student loans. To that end, it is important to reach out and seek options that can help alleviate what can feel like a very heavy weight on your shoulders.
Options for Military Personnel
If you are a member of the United States military or National Guard, and you are having a difficult time keeping up with your Federal Family Education Loan(s), William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan(s), or Federal Perkins Loan(s), you may have the option of applying for a Military Deferment loan solution.
Check out some of the qualifications below (all qualifications are listed in Section 7 of the Military Deferment Form):
- If you are called to active duty while your enrolled at least half time at an eligible university or college.
- If you are considered active duty during a military contingency operation, war or a national emergency.
- Performing qualifying National Guard duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency, and for an additional 180 days after the completion of qualifying military service.
- 13 months after you finish active duty or until you go back to school and are considered to be at least half-time.
When you download the Military Deferment:
- Fill out Sections 1 and 2. For Section 3, make sure you sign and date the form. You have the ability to request a written statement from your commanding officer, personnel officer, or you can provide a copy of your military orders in lieu of completing Section 4.
- If you are unable to fill out the Military Deferment Form, a representative can complete and sign the form on your behalf.
- Once you are ready to submit your form, contact your loan servicer for fax or mailing information.
Support Our Troops, Let Them Know About Military Deferment
Remember, as we go about our daily routine, we may see them in uniform at the fast food joint, the grocery store, the airport, the movies, or even driving a military vehicle on the road. They are husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, and friends. The men and women of the United States Military and National Guard do so much for us, and for that, I thank them always for their service!
If you know someone in the military that is struggling to repay their student loans, or is looking to explore the option of deferment, let them know about Military Deferment or point them to this article. It could be a huge help as they move forward with their careers! To download this form, click here.
You can also visit your servicer website. If you are unsure as to who your servicer is, please visit the National Student Loan Data System at www.nslds.ed.gov.
To learn more, here are some helpful links on the DOE's Federal Student Aid website:
Find Jobs For College Graduates By Degree
- Jobs By College Degree
- Computer Science Degree Jobs
- Health Science Degree Jobs
- Business Management Degree Jobs
- Economics Degree Jobs
- No Degree Jobs
- College Degree Jobs
- Associate Degree Jobs
- Bachelors Degree Jobs
- Masters Degree Jobs
- Accounting Degree Jobs
- Biology Degree Jobs
- Business Administration Degree Jobs
- Business Finance Degree Jobs
- Communications Degree Jobs
- Criminal Justice Degree Jobs
- Engineering Degree Jobs
- English Degree Jobs
- History Degree Jobs
- International Relations Degree Jobs
- Law Degree Jobs
- Liberal Arts Degree Jobs
- Marketing Degree Jobs
- Math Degree Jobs
- Political Science Degree Jobs
- Psychology Degree Jobs
- Sociology Degree Jobs
- Teaching Degree Jobs